Skip to main content

A look back at Jonah's Kindergarten year

Last week Friday we had an ice cream party around here to celebrate a big accomplishment...we finished Jonah's kindergarten curriculum!  We started in July because I didn't know how much time we would take off after Elise was born, but as it turned out we didn't take off much time at all and now we are done! 

So far homeschooling has been a good experience for us.  Sure there were many times that Jonah lacked concentration or a good attitude so I would send him outside to run a few laps and then come back in and get back to it.  (Um, truth be told there were a few days in there were I lacked concentration or a good attitude too!)  We started doing school in the morning, but then when Reuben dropped his morning nap we switched to the afternoon.  I never liked the math with our program so we did our own.  We have learned a few tricks as we have gone along. 

My goals for the year were simple: teach Jonah his letter sounds, numbers and not completely destroy Jonah's love for learning.  I am happy to say that I exceeded my goals as Jonah is reading and writing simple words, adding simple math problems and as much as I hate to say it he spouts off animals facts like a true home school nerd.  (Some day he will realize that besides his mother no one else wants to hear him talk about different predators and prey!)  He and I both have liked this special time that we have where I can focus just on him for a few moments.

I asked Jonah what he liked best about this year.  His highlights surprised me because he remembered a lot.  A creation collage he made,  Every single field trip we took-apple orchard, pumpkin farm, Living History Farms, Insect Zoo, the zoo and children's museum, Botanical Center, Red Rock Wildlife display, and a million nature walks. The dinosaur and National Geographic clips we watched online, the volcano we made, the week on our 5 senses. 

When home schooling in our state parents are required to either turn in test results, a portfolio or meet a few times with a supervising teacher.  We used a supervising teacher this year.  Our supervisor was also one of Jonah's HSAP class teachers.  It was nice to have someone who knew Jonah and able to see his growth over the year.  I was sharing with her how I noticed the difference of using black and white workbooks over colored workbooks when working with Jonah.  (Jonah has a hard time staying focused without color!)  It was good to hear her say how neat it was that we were homeschooling him now as all his worksheet would be black and white if he were enrolled in a traditional classroom setting.

The big question people have asked is are we going to home school Jonah again next year?  We decided that yes we would give it another go!  Why?  Because I don't look crazy enough with just the three when I go to the store!  :)  We have seen significant growth in a few areas that were a concern for us last year, both academically and otherwise.  He was behind because of his speech issues, and the fact that he is a boy with a May birthday.  There were some character qualities that we really wanted work on with him.  Homeschooling has allowed us to help Jonah without him knowing he was behind and work on getting him caught up.  We are also seeing him become more of a leader instead of a follower.  While there are days that it would be nice to tuck the younger three in bed for naps and have the afternoon to myself, this experience has been really rewarding.  As a mom so much of what I do is either so immediate that it is undone by the end of the day or so long term that I feel I won't see my goals met until they are adults.  Homeschooling Jonah has been a blessing to me as well.

What now?  Well, we are taking a few weeks off.  I am cleaning out closets and getting things checked off my list.  Woohoo!  I think that we will spend the summer doing some of our own unit studies, reading and maybe checking out a curriculum that one of the libraries offer.  I am going to experiment with trying to involve Audrey (and maybe even Reuben) a little bit more.  We still need some structure to our day or we go crazy plus I don't want to loose all that we have learned by taking 4 months off! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Stir-Fry Stew (From the book Nourishing Traditions)

1 lb chicken breasts cut into small pieces juice of 2 lemons about 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil or lard 1 cup peanuts 1 bunch green onion, sliced 2 large carrots, julienne 1 red bell pepper, julienne 1 C broccoli flowerets 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp grated ginger 1 Tbs Rapadura or sugar 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes 2 Tbs soy sauce 1/8 C vinegar 2-3 C chicken stock 2 Tbs flour mixed with 2 Tbs water Marinate chicken pieces several hours in lemon juice. Remove and pat dry. Mix chicken stock with vinegar, soy sauce, pepper flakes, ginger, sugar and garlic and set aside. In a heavy skillet or wok, saute chicken over olive oil until cooked through. Using a slotted spoon transfer chicken to a bowl and reserve. Saute peanuts a minute or two (add more oil if necessary.) Add peanuts to chicken. Saute onions, carrots and pepper for two minutes (add more oil if necessary). Add sauce mixture to veggies and bring to a boil. Return chicken and peanuts to the pan and mix well.

A "Spring" Field Trip

This morning when the kids woke up I told them to put on short sleeves because we had a surprise field trip. We met Gramma B and Gramma Great at the Botanical Center and got to pretend it was spring!   By the orchids   Lovely Lady (She has been waiting for short sleeve weather so that she can wear this sweater!)     Grandmas and the kids   Look at the fish!   Me and my babes!     What is this?      This inside of the fig   He looks as disturbed as I was to find out that they throw out the plants in the two themed beds every 6 weeks!  (We kind of wanted to take them home!)   Not sure if this is the wall's intended purpose!     What a great brother!   Group shot!

Vos, Party of 6

I have been thinking about what to do with this blog post for a while now.  I have had various ideas what to say and how to say it.  I think that the best way is to do a FAQ list.  Here is everything that you may (and more likely than not may not) want to know. There is a couple of dangers in doing this specific post.  1)I don't want it to come across that I do not want to talk about the baby since I am writing about it.  I just was afraid that much of the conversation would get lost in cyberspace since we were announcing electronically.  2) I can be a little sarcastic at times and people might "hear" bitterness in some of my answers, but there is none there!  I did my best to proof this so that I do not offend anyone.  When are you due?   My EDD is December 29th.  Jordan thinks this is perfect as long as I have the baby by the 31st.  That way he gets the tax credit this year and gets to pay for it with Flex next year.  Since the other kids' birthdays are in '0