Skip to main content

Goodnight Kiss

I am all sentimental lately...the season, the hormones, the exhaustion...a combo probably.  My body hurts, and I want the next six weeks to go by.  I also want to meet the new little personality that God thought our family would not be complete without!  Then I look at the three little ones that are in front of me and I think life is pretty great, and I am not ready for a change yet!  I cry when I think of the adjustment Reuben has ahead of him.  (I told Jordan I wanted to have this baby at home so that I didn't have to leave him.  Jordan didn't acknowledge this suggestion with a reply.)  Audrey was talking about Christmas decorations the other day.  I cried again, and I am not sure why.  There are days when sitting in a hospital bed watching Christmas movies while people bring me food sounds like heaven.  Then I think about watching "It's a Wonderful Life" from a hospital and I know I would be a complete mess before I get to the telegram from Sam Wainwright! 

It is probably because of all these crazy thoughts and feeling that I have been thinking a lot about this song that my mom used to sing so I decided to look up the lyrics. 

Goodnight Kiss

I count it as a privilege, I count it cause for praise to kiss my children goodnight at the close of everyday.
For I know too soon they're up and gone, and walking out the door And I'll never have a child to kiss goodnight anymore.
It's very strange how times have changed from the present to the past. When did they grow so quickly the time has flown so fast.
For it seems like only yesterday I helped him with his shirt, Or pat my baby on the back, Or kissed away a hurt.
Tell a story, read a book, wipe a nose, or tie a shoe.  They never ask me to rub their backs the way they used to do.
Once it was a bother, just a troublesome kind of chore. but now I would give anything to do it just once more.
Mommy, bounce me on your knee, Daddy, flip me in the air.  Throw a rubber ball to me and help me comb my hair.
Mommy, tickle my tummy... Daddy hold me high.  Lets go outside, for a while, or make a kite to fly...
I count it as a privilege I count it cause for praise To kiss my children goodnight at the close of everyday.
For I know too soon they're up and gone And walking out the door And I'll never have a child to kiss goodnight anymore!

[ Author Unknown -- from Aiken Drum ]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Stir-Fry Stew (From the book Nourishing Traditions)

1 lb chicken breasts cut into small pieces juice of 2 lemons about 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil or lard 1 cup peanuts 1 bunch green onion, sliced 2 large carrots, julienne 1 red bell pepper, julienne 1 C broccoli flowerets 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp grated ginger 1 Tbs Rapadura or sugar 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes 2 Tbs soy sauce 1/8 C vinegar 2-3 C chicken stock 2 Tbs flour mixed with 2 Tbs water Marinate chicken pieces several hours in lemon juice. Remove and pat dry. Mix chicken stock with vinegar, soy sauce, pepper flakes, ginger, sugar and garlic and set aside. In a heavy skillet or wok, saute chicken over olive oil until cooked through. Using a slotted spoon transfer chicken to a bowl and reserve. Saute peanuts a minute or two (add more oil if necessary.) Add peanuts to chicken. Saute onions, carrots and pepper for two minutes (add more oil if necessary). Add sauce mixture to veggies and bring to a boil. Return chicken and peanuts to the pan and mix well.

A "Spring" Field Trip

This morning when the kids woke up I told them to put on short sleeves because we had a surprise field trip. We met Gramma B and Gramma Great at the Botanical Center and got to pretend it was spring!   By the orchids   Lovely Lady (She has been waiting for short sleeve weather so that she can wear this sweater!)     Grandmas and the kids   Look at the fish!   Me and my babes!     What is this?      This inside of the fig   He looks as disturbed as I was to find out that they throw out the plants in the two themed beds every 6 weeks!  (We kind of wanted to take them home!)   Not sure if this is the wall's intended purpose!     What a great brother!   Group shot!

Vos, Party of 6

I have been thinking about what to do with this blog post for a while now.  I have had various ideas what to say and how to say it.  I think that the best way is to do a FAQ list.  Here is everything that you may (and more likely than not may not) want to know. There is a couple of dangers in doing this specific post.  1)I don't want it to come across that I do not want to talk about the baby since I am writing about it.  I just was afraid that much of the conversation would get lost in cyberspace since we were announcing electronically.  2) I can be a little sarcastic at times and people might "hear" bitterness in some of my answers, but there is none there!  I did my best to proof this so that I do not offend anyone.  When are you due?   My EDD is December 29th.  Jordan thinks this is perfect as long as I have the baby by the 31st.  That way he gets the tax credit this year and gets to pay for it with Flex next year.  Since the other kids' birthdays are in '0