Skip to main content

Chicken Stir-Fry Stew (From the book Nourishing Traditions)

1 lb chicken breasts cut into small pieces juice of 2 lemons
about 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil or lard
1 cup peanuts
1 bunch green onion, sliced
2 large carrots, julienne
1 red bell pepper, julienne
1 C broccoli flowerets
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
1 Tbs Rapadura or sugar
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 Tbs soy sauce
1/8 C vinegar
2-3 C chicken stock
2 Tbs flour mixed with 2 Tbs water

Marinate chicken pieces several hours in lemon juice. Remove and pat dry. Mix chicken stock with vinegar, soy sauce, pepper flakes, ginger, sugar and garlic and set aside. In a heavy skillet or wok, saute chicken over olive oil until cooked through. Using a slotted spoon transfer chicken to a bowl and reserve. Saute peanuts a minute or two (add more oil if necessary.) Add peanuts to chicken. Saute onions, carrots and pepper for two minutes (add more oil if necessary). Add sauce mixture to veggies and bring to a boil. Return chicken and peanuts to the pan and mix well. Add flour mixture and simmer a minute or two until sauce thickens. Add broccoli and simmer until tender. Serve with brown rice.
This is a SLOW recipe, but everyone in my family ate it, and when we all like something besides pizza I am happy!

Comments

  1. One suggestion that might make it easier. When you are doing vegetables for one meal, do extras that you can put in the freezer for another meal. For example, peppers freeze well. So, if you are using peppers in one meal and will need them for another meal like this recipe, cut extra and put them in a freezer bag. This will help cut the time of preparation. I try to do this as often as possible! I don't have kids demanding my time right now, but life is just awfully busy so time saving tips are always helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A "Spring" Field Trip

This morning when the kids woke up I told them to put on short sleeves because we had a surprise field trip. We met Gramma B and Gramma Great at the Botanical Center and got to pretend it was spring!   By the orchids   Lovely Lady (She has been waiting for short sleeve weather so that she can wear this sweater!)     Grandmas and the kids   Look at the fish!   Me and my babes!     What is this?      This inside of the fig   He looks as disturbed as I was to find out that they throw out the plants in the two themed beds every 6 weeks!  (We kind of wanted to take them home!)   Not sure if this is the wall's intended purpose!     What a great brother!   Group shot!

Vos, Party of 6

I have been thinking about what to do with this blog post for a while now.  I have had various ideas what to say and how to say it.  I think that the best way is to do a FAQ list.  Here is everything that you may (and more likely than not may not) want to know. There is a couple of dangers in doing this specific post.  1)I don't want it to come across that I do not want to talk about the baby since I am writing about it.  I just was afraid that much of the conversation would get lost in cyberspace since we were announcing electronically.  2) I can be a little sarcastic at times and people might "hear" bitterness in some of my answers, but there is none there!  I did my best to proof this so that I do not offend anyone.  When are you due?   My EDD is December 29th.  Jordan thinks this is perfect as long as I have the baby by the 31st.  That way he gets the tax credit this year and gets to pay for it with Flex next year.  Since the other kids' birthdays are in '0